top of page
Whiteley Wood Entrance

Whiteley Woods - Lower

Whiteley Woods, acquired by Sheffield Corporation in stages in the early years of the 20th century, is a narrow linear park which occupies an area of c11.5 hectares.

The Porter Brook runs through the centre of the park with fairly steep, well-wooded valley sides to the north and south. The area inside the park, close to the Rustlings Road entrance, is formal with grass areas and shrub and tree plantings. There is a gradual transition in style from here towards the less formal character higher up the valley.

The lodge at the park entrance was erected in 1908 at a cost of £640 and consisted of 2 rooms and a scullery on the ground floor, 3 bedrooms, a shelter and conveniences.

Woods & Dams

To the left of the main path is Trippett Wood, an area of ancient woodland, dating back to at least 1600. Woodpeckers, jays, tree-creepers and nuthatches are commonly seen in the woodland, whilst dippers and wagtails are resident near the river.      


A short distance into Whiteley Woods is the Ibbotson Dam, with records dating back to the 16th century. It is sometimes known as the Upper Spur Gear Dam, the name originating from the arrangement of the Wheel’s gear drive and different to that used on other wheels in the area. The Wheel and dam were bequeathed to Francis Otter in 1875 by his uncle, Robert Younge, owner and resident of Greystones Hall. Francis Otter sold them to Sheffield Corporation in the early 20th century.

Bingham Park


Walter Charles Ibbotson was a grinder who leased the Ibbotson Wheel in the 1890s but by the turn of the century he had diversified as the area became more attractive for leisure activities.

His advertisement in the Sheffield Independent of 1896 states “PORTER GLEN, TOP OF ENDCLIFFE PARK – Visitors will find Good Accommodation for Hot Water; Teas Provided, Schools and Parties Catered for; Boating, Swings; a large play ground -W C IBBOTSON”

The Wheel was in good order in 1930 when it was suggested that it could become an industrial museum similar to Shepherd Wheel.


Nothing came of the idea and the Wheel was demolished in the 1950s.


Armchair Bridge

There are the remains of a dam between Highcliffe Road and Whiteley Wood Road and the main path follows the goit. This was the site of the Leather Wheel, built in 1754 and shortly afterwards incorporated into the works of Thomas Boulsover. Sometimes alternatively known as the Nether Wheel, it ceased operating around 1900 and was demolished in 1907.

A bridge, stone-built with seating niches and ornamental copings, across the Porter on Whiteley Wood Road, is known as the ‘armchair bridge’. Photos from the early 20th century show the sides of the bridge as being made of wooden lattices. These have now been replaced with stone.

bottom of page